Friday, February 23, 2018

Review: The Millionaire Upstairs by M.J. O'Shea

The Millionaire Upstairs (DreamSpun Desires #1) by M.J. O'Shea
Dreamspinner Press
Novella: 198pgs

2.5 Pants Off

Blurb: He might be hard to work for, but he's impossible to resist.

Sasha Sobieski has the perfect job working at legendary American fashion house Harrison Kingsley—or at least he used to. He just never thought he’d have to work for Harrison Kingsley himself. Harrison is exacting, difficult, cold, and hands-down the sexiest man Sasha has ever seen.

After years at the top, Harrison Kingsley knows what he wants, when he wants it, and exactly how he’d like it to be delivered to him. What he wants most right now? His new assistant. Sasha is mouthy, opinionated, and he drives Harrison mad. Problem is, Harrison can never tell if it’s with anger… or desire.



Review
The Rich Asshole Upstairs  

So here I am on the Dreamspun Desires bandwagon, and wanting to see what all the fuss is about. I love the idea behind the series, and just the overall harlequin-y feel of it all. If there isn’t a title called “The Millionaires Secret Adoptive Baby” then I might as well call it quits now. Every series has to have a secret baby. 

Sasha Sobieski just landed his dream job of working with a top fashion designer house “Harrison Kingsley”. A small town boy like him never dreamt he’d be working with the big dogs, and after two years with the company he’s finally making a name for himself. To his utter shock and surprise, his boss asks him to lend a helping hand to her egotistical/asshole of a brother Harrison. Sasha and Harrison do not get along, based solely on the fact that Harrison has always been a class A jerk to him. Ruling out the fact that Harrison is drop dead gorgeous and his voice alone can send Sasha into vapors, he’s a jerk, brilliant but a jerk. 

Harrison Kingsley, designer extraordinaire and a Oscar worthy jerk. His sister grants him the use and expertise of Sasha and what does he do, treat him like a maid all in an effort to keep him at arms length. Because Sasha is too pretty and pretty things are a distraction (cue major eye rolls).  

Ah, what can I say. This started out strong, Sasha’s voice was exciting and interesting, then Harrison comes along and feck things up. There were moments of cuteness and breakthrough and Harrison and Sasha seemed like they would make a great couple and then Harrison would open is mouth and things would go down. I’m not talking just being mean, I’m talking the most demeaning shit you could say to a person. I wasn’t here for Harrison at all, because fool me once shame on you fool me twice, well shame on me. Fool me thrice, then I’d officially call myself a fucking idiot and this applies to Sasha. Dude should have packed his bag and left buddy in the rear. No sob story can cover up the fact that he’s an asshole.  

I would have loved this, man I would have loved this but the writing felt like some bad soap opera, this hot and cold thing was giving me whiplash. There was no clear balance and I was glad when it was over. I liked Sasha well enough but Harrison can suck it! Dreamspun your first offering left much to be desired but I’m not giving up on you yet.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!