Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Review: BAMF by SJD Peterson

BAMF by SJD Peterson
Dreamspinner Press
Novel: 200pgs


2 Pants Off

Blurb
With his fauxhawk, sleeve tattoos, and visible piercings, Ridley Corbin has the whole bad ass vibe going on in spades. The image serves him well as the self-proclaimed protector of the underdog, and he wants nothing more than to be Alex Firestone's hero.   

Alex, a mild-mannered library assistant, has moved to Slater, a quiet college town, hoping to hide from his past. He keeps to himself, but that doesn't save him from catching the unwanted attention of the campus bully. But not all is as it seems. Alex's past comes calling, and it's time he becomes top dog.

Review
BAMF! I feel like this book needs a new title something along the lines of “WHAT!”. Like what the hell did I just read? I'm still trying to figure out. It's as if I walked into two guys story knowing squat and left their story knowing squat. I had such high expectations for this one. I thought I was getting a sexy nerd, and then it did a total 180, and I got something else instead.

Ridley Corbin looks like a badass with his faux hawk and tattoos. No one messes with him. So he uses his bad boy image to help the underdog. He doesn't like to see anyone get bullied. If he can put an end to that type of situation, he's gonna do it. So it comes as no surprise that his hackles rise when the campus bully hones in on his librarian crush. Alex Firestone has Ridley all twisted up inside with his nerdish good looks and just overall hotness. So it doesn't surprise him when he feels he wants to rescue him. Ridley can hardly say two words to Alex, so he just spends his time stalking skulking around the library looking at Alex.   

When he finally gets Alex on a date, their Chemistry is undeniable, and it leads to a passionate, explosive night. Seemed he pegged Alex for a very good boy and what he gets is nothing like what he expected. The never “judge a book by its cover” is strong with this one. Ridley gets a night of explosive hard sex, and then he's left hanging in the dust with no call back from the sexy Mr. Firestone and wondering if all that heat between them was just a figment of his imagination. When he does run into Alex again, it's not the private meeting he was hoping for. He lands in a fight and is surprised that Alex can take care of himself as more than take care. While trying to be a hero Ridley is brained (and not the sexy type). He gets a serious brain injury and then finds out there is more to Alex Firestone, and it seems he wasn't the bad boy after all.   

There is so much that annoyed me about this book. Like the complete lack of the sexy nerd. That cover cheated me, and I'm all types of disappointed. Next, the characters are flat. Like a five day old opened bottle of Pepsi (without all the sweetness). It's a series of “I thought I was the baddest but you the baddest” and so it goes on. Mans is suffering from a severe head injury, but he's down for rough sex and such. It's the stereotypical I’m a bad ass male BS, and I did not enjoy it all. I had to force myself to finish and overall it was just not a good read.   

This book certainly was not for me. Where it started out promising the overall premise fizzled and burnt out. It's becoming apparent that maybe this author just isn't for me, but I'm holding out hope. BAMF tried to deliver, but all it left me with was “WHY”. 

A letdown!!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and talk to me!